Come along to our services . . .
You’re warmly invited to attend all services of the First Church of Christ, Scientist in Jamestown. Christian Science services are the same all around the world. Each week’s lesson is new and has practical healing truths that everyone can use.
Many avenues are available during the week prior to the Sunday service, if you would like to read or listen to the sermon text in advance. More information is available here.
During the hour-long service Sunday morning, this is what will happen:
- Everyone begins by singing a hymn that sets the tone for the topic and gets us off to an uplifting start.
- Singing is followed by listening to a scriptural reading from the Bible.
- After a time of silent prayer, everyone says the Lord’s Prayer along with a spiritual interpretation from Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures. This begins with:
Our Father which art in heaven,
— Holy Bible Matthew 6:9
Our Father-Mother God, all-harmonious.
— Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures p. 16 by Mary Baker Eddy
- This is followed by singing another hymn and a few brief announcements.
- Next is a solo where you can sit and relax and listen to the music for additional inspiration.
- The sermon follows the solo and is based on a weekly Bible lesson from our Pastor: the Bible and Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures by Mary Baker Eddy. Lay church members are the readers of the sermon and conduct all services.
- The service concludes with singing, a short reading and a benediction.
Sunday School for young people up to the age of 20 is held at the same time.
Sunday Service: 11 am - Noon
Join in prayer, sing hymns, listen to the Sunday Sermon.
Sunday School: Also 11 am - Noon
Wednesday Meeting Noon - 1 pm
Hear people describe how they apply Christian Science to problems in their life to find healing. Sing hymns, join in prayer, hear from our Pastor. Those present are invited to share experiences, testimonies and remarks on Christian Science.
We are located at 321 Prendergast Avenue in Jamestown (on the corner of Prendergast Avenue and East Fourth Street).
The Bible and the Christian Science textbook are our only preachers.
– Mary Baker Eddy
The Sunday sermon comprises readings which are studied during the week prior. Click here to read a sample Bible Lesson.